User Tools

Site Tools


australia:vic:aireys_inlet

.

Airey's Inlet

introduction

  • ~30min from Geelong, Torquay or Lorne
  • Fairhaven surf beach
  • Split Point lighthouse c1891
  • lovely beaches facing east and south
  • Eagle Rock
  • 17 hectare Eagle Rock marine sanctuary surrounds Split Point extending 300m offshore
  • bush walks through dry ironbark forests:
    • Distillery Creek
    • Mogg's Creek picnic ground
  • Airey's Inlet Hotel
  • horse riding:
    • Blazing Saddles Horse riding:
      • bush ride; beach ride at low tide only;
      • ph: 03 5289 7322 or A/H 5289 7149 or 0418 528 647
  • gliding: Gliding High
  • canoeing - G.O.R.A.T.S. Adventure ph: 03 5289 6841 - also has downhill mountain bike hire/tours
  • accommodation:
    • Split Point Cottages ph: 5289 6566 - 2BR, 300mm thick rammed earth walls, tennis court, outdoor spa
    • New Beginnings cottage ph: 5289 6550 - bush setting; dbl or twin share; short walk to beach;
    • Airey's Inlet Getaway 2-3BR villas with spa, OFP; walk to beach, lighthouse, shops; pool; spa; tennis; BBQ
    • Bambra Countrywide Cottages rural farm setting, good for pets;

history

  • geologic:
    • formed from volcanic eruptions 24-29 million years ago which then became covered in sedimentary rock deposited from the much higher sea levels.
    • when the sea levels fell, this sedimentary rock gradually eroded leaving the current cliff faces.
    • bushfires are said to have impacted the region every 20 years or so, the worst in 1851 and 1983.
  • pre-history: Aboriginal tribe, Wauthauring lived in the region from Lorne to Geelong and relied upon Airey's Inlet for fresh water from a well, eels, shellfish, wild berries and echidnas.
  • 1803: escaped convict, William Buckley finds refuge in a cave in Airey's Inlet for 3weeks before becoming part of an Aboriginal tribe, 32 years later, he re-joined white civilisation
  • 1834: Henty brothers settle in Portland
  • 1835: sheep squatters landing in Geelong, come to Victoria to illegally take up pastoral runs
  • 1835: William Roadknight and his son Thomas, settle in Victoria taking up properties in Winchelsea, then in 1838, Yan Yan Gurt (Bambra), and River Station in 1840, and in Aire River and Cape Otway in 1849/1850; Thomas cut the track through to Cape Otway over a period of 6 months. In the 1860's he paid the leasehold for Airey Run west of the Airey's Inlet creek.
  • 1839: Lt John Cole Moore Airey takes up a pastoral run between Airey's Inlet and Point Roadknight he registered as Anglohawk Run
  • 1840: sheep squatters who had taken up land were formally recognized and for an annual fee could continue tpo graze the land.
  • 1843: 1st survey of this coast and identifies 3 coastal pastoral runs: Angahook, Aireys Inlet and Loutit Bay
  • 1846: William Urquart's land survey
  • 1848: Govt introduces Pre-emptive Right on registered runs - the right to buy a square mile (640 acres) for one pound per acre.
  • 1848: John Herd settles area west of Airey's Inlet, T.R. Carter settles area east of Airey's inlet
  • 1851: Black Thursday fires destroy all of Carter's improvements
  • 1852: Carter decides to cut his losses and sell. Thomas Pearse (butcher from Geelong) and his apprentice, Robert McConachy purchase 640 acres freehold. and the Angahook leasehold from Carter.
    • Angahook Station had the right to graze 2560 acres on the east side of the Painkalac Creek, and the right to buy a square mile (640 acres) for one pound per acre - they chose to buy the creek frontage as it was the most fertile and the most heavily timbered, and had the freshwater swamp (now the Allen Noble Sanctuary) as a permanent water supply.
  • 1859: Thomas Austin (of Winchelsea) brings rabbits to Australia and by 1870, Aireys is swarming with them adversely impacting grazing feed
  • 1861: Robert McConachy marries Sarah Pearse, daughter of Thomas and Martha Pearse, and they live in the bark hut until moving to the stone house when Martha Pearse died. They had 15 children, but were very isolated. They grew oats for the horses and wheat for flour.
  • 1862: Thomas Pearse dies from hepatitis and is buried on the cliff top near the lighthouse. Angahook homestead is completed.
  • 1868: land survey results is 21 property sales between Anglesea and Airey;s Inlet
  • 1869: 1st passenger coach crossing the ranges from Geelong.
  • 1870: Martha Pearse dies and estate sold off; Robert McConachy and wife Sarah move to Mirnee.
  • 1870: the rabbit invasion commences in Aireys Inlet conributing to McConachy's decision to sell his 640 acre Angahook farm to John Rout Hopkins
  • 1872: Benjamin Berthon granted a licence for allotment 15 of 284+ acres at Aireys (Wybellenna).
  • 1879: Jonas Hollingworth selects 82 acres at Spout Creek and names it Eastern View
  • 1883: Luggs establish themselves on lot 19 134+ acres at Aireys Inlet
  • 1883: as Geelong was running out of firewood, coal and gravel supplies, a steam train line was built from Moriac to Wensleydale, this opened in 1890. This line was not economic and was closed in 1948, and dismantled in 1953.
  • 1887: John Rout Hopkins subdivides 1st six sections of Eaglehawk Estate, opening up the Painkalac valley to the public
  • 1889: the Anderson family move from Bambra to Aireys Inlet
    • Wesley Anderson was a 19 yr old Negro American who arrived in Sydney in 1836 and married Sarah Jane Clarke in 1840. He joined the gold rushes in Ballarat and Bendigo in the 1850's without success and in the late 1850's moved his family via bullock dray to Lorne (lowering the dray and each bullock down the cliff at Devil's Corner onto the the beach). He moved his family to Wombete where he discovered coal in 1857, but died in 1859. His son, John Anderson and his wife Mary owned 297 acres at Yan Yan Gurt (Bambra), and in 1889, they moved to Airey's Inlet establishing the Mountain House guest house.
  • 1890: John Rout Hopkins sells Angahook homestead on 8 acres to W&W McMullen and G.C. Noble
  • 1890: Winchelsea Council approves tender to construct a road from Wensleydale Station to Airey's Inlet
  • 1890: W&J Hasty purchase land and establishes a boarding house, coach service, store and post office in Bambra Road
  • 1891: Henry Buckhurst selects lot 20a of 309 acres between Urquharts Bluff and Sunnymead Road and builds a cottage and orchard.
  • 1891: R. Anderson (who built the lighthouse complex) builds Kontiki in Bambra Rd, one of the 1st cottages in Airey's Inlet
  • 1891: construction of Split Point Lighthouse commences with telephone connection commencing in 1892
  • 1893: Airey's Inlet school opens
  • 1894: Blake constructs the Grand Hotel in Bambra Road in anticipation of tourists from the new road but they did not come, and the hotel burnt down in 1898
  • 1894: Winchelsea Council clear a route from Mt Misery to Airey's Inlet via Hutt Gully and Sunnymead Road
  • 1894: William Loud selects lot 19b of 28+ acres in the hill between Gilbert St and Distillery Creek Road
  • 1900: Hollingworth family vacate Eastern View.
  • 1900: William Reid builds The Neukt at Mogg's Creek
  • 1900: Jack Anderson builds Mountain House
  • 1904: Albert Anderson, expecting traffic to come from Gilbert St instead of Bambra Road, moves Battey's Bambra Rd cottage to the current site of the Airey's Inlet Hotel, and applies for a Colonial Wine Licence.
  • 1906 George Noble (son-in-law of previous owner, William McMullen) acquires Angahook
  • 1909: Charles Lane buys Sunnymead
  • 1911: Albert Anderson buys Hasty's boarding house on Bambra Rd and moves it with the store, P.O businness and coach service to his hotel site.
  • 1913: Charles Lane drives his car through Airey's Inlet on his way to his property at Sunnymead
  • 1919: lighthouse cottages became vacnt when the government converted the lighthouse to automatic control, no longer needing to be manned
  • 1922/24: Charles Lane constructs and opens his new coastal road via Sunnymead through to Airey's Inlet and includes a toll gate.
  • 1923: auction of Eastern View Estate “the riviera of the south” adjacent to all the beauty spots (not sure if these are there today!):
    • Louise Falls
    • Kelsall's Rock
    • McCormick's Canyon
    • Herschell's Fernery
  • 1924: Alfred Farthing establishes hotel at Eastern View which he ran until 1957.
  • 1930: Anglican Church built
  • 1931: Robert Cowan builds Fairhaven which he opened as a guest house in 1936
  • 1932: bridge over the Aireys River opened in conjunction with the new road from Airey's Inlet to Lorne.
  • 1934: Allen Noble (son of the owner, George Noble) acquires Angahook
  • 1935: Lightkeeper cottages and 13 allotments sold.
  • 1936: The Great Ocean Road toll gate removed.
  • 1936: Eastern View golf links opened, but closed in 1939
  • 1936: electricity makes it to Airey's Inlet
  • 1939: Anglesea and Airey's Inlet spared from the 1939 bush fires perhaps courtesy of regular burn off practices on the Wensleydale grazing land north of this region by the Holloway family and others who regularly burnt off grazing land to promote new growth.
  • 1948: 1st CFA fire brigade
  • 1954: Hutt Gully culvert washed away in heavy rains cutting off the Great Ocean Road
  • 1955: Albert Anderson auctions off 62 acres of river flats to Arthur Gladman of Winchelsea.
  • 1957: Eastern View Hotel closes
  • 1966: singer Dame Joan Hammond builds Jumbunna
  • 1975: Claire Roberts (daughter of the owner, Allen Noble) acquires Angahook
  • 1980: Clarkes sell Eastern View farm after 100 years in the family
  • 1983: Ash Wednesday bushfires devastates Airey's Inlet, burning down most of the historic buildings.
  • 1993: lighthouse stables converted into a tea room and gallery
  • 2004: Angahook homestead rebuilt after the Ash Wednesday fires
australia/vic/aireys_inlet.txt · Last modified: 2016/01/31 07:11 by gary1